Besant Hill School of Happy Valley is a unique private coed college prep boarding school with a beautiful campus located 90 minutes northwest of Los Angeles in Ojai, California.
Besant Hill School seeks qualified men and women who have the desire, motivation, and skills to enrich the student experience at our high school. Candidates should be creative, resourceful, and optimistic. As a boarding school with students from around the world, we seek candidates who have a deep appreciation and respect for the privilege of teaching and being role models to adolescents with many backgrounds.
Besant Hill School does not discriminate on the basis of physical handicap, race, creed, color, gender or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admissions, scholarships, loans, and other school programs. Besant Hill School is an equal opportunity employer.
Head of School
Besant Hill School is seeking an enthusiastic educational leader who is authentically aligned with the Founders’ vision of an intellectual, creative educational community and who will embrace the school’s mission to serve as its next Head of School beginning July 2019. Besant Hill is a little school with a rich, intriguing history, engaged community, and an array of great programs; it is, however, not a “little” job. This small, residential school with an international population and dynamic initiatives requires a multi-‐talented and highly energized, engaged leader—a person who can coach or cheer on the sidelines of a game, enjoy an outdoor trip, dig in the dirt on Project Day, travel to Asia, make a big ask, and lead the school’s council meetings with authenticity—while knowing every student, faculty, and staff member.
For Consideration Please send electronically: Resume, Letter of Interest and Educational Philosophy and/or Personal Statement to:
All inquiries will be treated confidentially and review of candidate files will begin immediately.
Assistant Director of Dining Services
Besant Hill School, a private, co-ed, college prep boarding/day school, is seeking an experienced Assistant Director of Dining Services to manage dining hall operations. Assistant Director of Dining Services is responsible for the success of all kitchen operations including quality of food, employee performance, and timely preparation of 200 meals per shift for the school community of 150 people, plus various school events with increased attendance/meal prep. We are looking for the right mix of solid culinary ability, management skills, and leadership ability. This is a year-round, full-time position, 5 days/week, including evenings and some weekends.
- Minimum 3 years in a supervisory role in a high-volume, fast-paced commercial kitchen
- Strong culinary skill and ability
- Advanced knowledge of cuisines from various cultures, i.e. Regional American, Asian, Italian, Mexican, as well as vegetarian and vegan dishes; baking skills a plus.
- ServSafe Food Handler Certification required; Food Manager Certification preferred
- Willingness to assist with all kitchen duties, incl. cooking and serving
- Knowledge of State & Federal safety and sanitation regulations re: proper handling, storing, cooking and holding temperatures, proper use and cleaning of kitchen equipment
- Ability to use and supervise staff in the use of all equipment, incl. ovens, slicers, processors, grills
- Energetic, outgoing, and hospitable personality
- Creative and effective problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, manage several projects simultaneously
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Email)
- Excellent leadership, communication, and organizational skills
- Ensure that all food is prepared to standards & on a timely basis
- Enforce Health Department regulations for food & storage safety
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures
- Assist kitchen employees to ensure timely preparation for service
- Maintain food and supply inventory through proper ordering procedures
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and the kitchen line
- Work with colleagues to develop special event menus
- Meet budgets for food and labor costs
- Partner with Director of Dining Services and other team members to ensure meal quality & satisfaction
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, and supervise kitchen staff
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- PTO – Sick and Vacation Pay
For all inquiries, or to submit a resume, please email email@example.com.
Lead Cook, Full Time
Besant Hill School of Happy Valley (BHS) currently has an opening for a full-time cook, senior position. As a private boarding and day school with resident students and faculty, our dining staff must be flexible and willing to work both day and evening shifts including weekends. Applicants must have culinary experience and prior supervisor experience is ideal. We are committed to nurturing our staff’s talents and offer many fantastic benefits including health insurance. DOJ background checks are required of all BHS employees.
Our dining team takes pride in preparing tasty, nutritious meals using fresh, local ingredients whenever possible. Organic, seasonal produce is sourced directly from Rio Gozo Farm who cultivate five-acres on campus. Our chefs enjoy a close relationship with Rio Gozo Farm and collaboration on growing special ingredients is a unique and exciting aspect of meal preparation and planning at BHS.
Prepares food to ensure it is nutritious and properly flavored in accordance with applicable federal, state, local and company standards, guidelines and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- May oversee the cooking activities of food service associates as assigned by Food Service Director.
- Prepares various entrees and menu items following established recipes.
- Operates and cleans equipment after each use. Performs scheduled routine cleaning.
- Stores, labels and dates food items according to policy. Helps maintain organized storage of dry goods and refrigerated and frozen products.
- Follows HACCP guidelines to ensure quality and safety of food supply.
- Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures.
- Assists Food Service Director in maintaining accurate daily production records and completes all required documentation, reports, and logs as assigned.
- Assists in the cross training of employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Good Verbal Communication Skills
- Must work well with others
- Productivity and Time-Management Skills
- Emotional Control
- Work Well Under Pressure
- Have Own Transportation
- Willing to work evenings and weekends
For all inquiries, or to submit a resume, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media & Marketing Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Advancement and External Affairs
Status: Salaried, full-time, 12 month position
Purpose: To plan, design and execute all aspects of marketing materials and programs that enhance the visibility and public perception of the school. Organize activities that support the admission, marketing and development objectives.
- Develop, plan and execute a strategic marketing plan in collaboration with the Director Advancement and External Affairs.
- Manage all external marketing related communications, with a strong focus on developing new student/family prospects, and strengthening brand identity within the local and remote communities.
- Work closely with the Advancement and Development Directors to design and produce materials that support the school’s enrollment and fundraising objectives.
- Design, manage, write and oversee production of all school print and marketing materials, e.g., the viewbook, directory, annual report, magazine, newsletter and summer brochure.
- Assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of key industry metrics, market share and competitive research.
- Working with the Director of Advancement and External Affairs and other division directors, develop, create and track parent survey responses using Survey Monkey.
- Track and report the efficacy of the school’s marketing efforts.
- Track marketing efforts of local competitors.
- Attend school events to gather source information, including photographs for marketing materials and school publication.
- Maintain and update the content of the school’s internal and external websites.
- Serve to ensure that a common voice and common look is represented in all written publications.
- Propose and execute an effective marketing strategy in collaboration with the Director of Advancement and External Affairs.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by the Director of Advancement and External Affairs.
- Maintain an archival record of published articles, ads, etc. Route copies to appropriate parties.
- Maintain a database of publications and internet sites to which we submit press releases.
- Collect and publish information regarding upcoming school activities or current events for the Weekly newsletter and the Besant Hill website news posts.
- Work with the Director of Advancement and External Affairs to establish and execute audience-centric strategies for Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and other platforms.
- Maintain lists for html email campaigns (Mailchimp).
- Coordinate and publish seasonal school magazine.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or related discipline.
- 5 years progressive experience in design, marketing, communications or public relations, preferably in a non-profit or independent school environment.
- Proven success in creating and developing marketing materials, both print and web.
- High energy, self-starter with ability to successfully prioritize and multi-task in an atmosphere in which time sensitive deadlines are the norm, as are interruptions and required interfacing with a diverse clientele of parents, colleagues and vendors.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus (internal and external).
- Excellent writing skills with an emphasis on creativity.
- Excellent oral communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders of the school.
- Must possess a keen eye for photo composition and framing for publications and advertising.
- Strong computer skills with a proficiency in MS office, Google Drive, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator.
- Versed in print design (coordinating with local printers, scheduling and quoting jobs, grasp of sustainable printing practices)
- Web design (HTML, CSS, experience in WordPress a plus)